What is it about bringing music and summertime together that really fires our souls and gives us energy?
We decided to ask each and every one of our team members here at Silverpoint Media to share their top musical tracks of the summer (whether they are old or new).
You can really see how varied our tastes are below. The songs are linked through YouTube, Soundcloud, or bought through itunes (*we are operating under the Fairplay Policy).
Keith Chang (CEO)
1. “Going back to Cali” – LL Cool J
2. “Fight For Your Right to Party” – The Beastie Boys
3. “Sleeping to Dream” – Jason Mraz
Stan Yamashita (Artistic Director)
1. “Ma Vlast” – Bedrich Smetana. This is a musical set of symphonic poems depicting aspects of the countryside, history, and legends of former Bohemia.
2. “Quizas, Quizas” – Buena Vista Social Club. This is one of many on the Buena Vista CD list, produced by Ry Cooder and performed by an assortment of Cuban musicians. An energizing mix for a summer afternoon.
3. “Baba Yetu” (Calling All Dawns) – Christopher Tin. The entire 12 song series is sung in twelve languages and in three movements: day, night and dawn. Each movement relates to different phases of life…
Serena So (Project Manager)
1. “No Diggity” cover – Chet Faker. Love this soulful cover of a song that brings me back to my HS summer days.
2. “Jammin” – Bob Marley. This song always puts me in a summer mood when I hear it on the radio.
3. “Blurred Lines” – Robin Thicke ft. Pharrell. Such a catchy song that I’m sure I’ll be listening to all summer now.
Boris Babkin (Animator)
There is nothing like some fine piano for the soul. I find younger generations today are less likely to appreciate and understand its beauty.
1. “Claire Du Lune” – Debussey (itunes)
2. “Fantasia in C Minor” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Victor Chew (VP / Consultant)
1. “Milkshake” – Kelis. The scene in the movie Dodgeball when the gang decided to organize a car wash to help them raise money… classic.
2. “Photograph” – Nickelback. My first thought was Bryan Adam’s “Summer of 69” for obvious reason … but then I dug deep and realized, I don’t really love that song, but it’s considered rock and Adams IS Canadian. Then for some reason the song “Photograph” jumped into my head and they’re Canadian. And that song is – well – WAY better.
3. “Summertime” – Will Smith. Classic from the 80’s genre… great beat for driving or just sitting on the patio.
Adrienne Sharp (Writer/Producer)
1. The Beatles
3. “Summertime” – Ella Fitzgerald
Josh Chan (Senior Cinematographer)
I couldn’t tell you with any specific detail why I chose these songs, but there’s something that just feels like summer when I listen to these tunes. They’re all songs I enjoy listening to while cruising in my car on a summer afternoon/evening with the windows down.
1. “Ho Hey” – The Lumineers
2. “Pumped Up Kicks” – Foster the People
5. “1901” – Phoenix
Raymond Tua (Motion Designer)
1. “Juicy” – Notorious Big
2. “Power Trip” – J.Cole
3. “Higher” – J.Cole
Jennifer Kidson (Editor)
“If music be the food of love, play on; give me excess of it …” – William Shakespeare (act I scene i)
When I think of summer, I think of the following tracks:
1. “Latch” ft. Sam Smith – Disclosure
2. “Little Lion Man” – Mumford and Sons
3. “Sail” – Awolnation
4. “F For You” – Disclosure
5. “The Way” – Ariana Grande ft. Mac Miller
6. “SummerMash 2013” – DJ Earworm
Thrizzo (Studio Musician)
1. “Act Too the Love of my Life” – The Roots
2. “Summer Time” – Will Smith
3. “Summer Madness” – Kool and the Gang
4. “All You Need is Love w/ Summer Burst” – Avicii
5. “Bam Bam” – Sister Nancy
6. “Walk Away From Love” – Bitty Maclean
As you can tell, we all have our own flare for style in music. Each musical genre somehow makes us think of summertime and we really want to share our choices with you.
Enjoy our radio list over a patio BBQ, or even while you are cruising in your car. Please find the direct links to iTunes if you want to purchase the songs.
So what are your favourite summer jams? As always, we’re interested in adding to our musical playlist. Leave your song picks below.
Your Summer Listening Crew,0